July 2005

This week the Cairns Post carried an article reporting a study showing that sea views actually relieve stress. It good to finally have some ojective confirmation of the emotional release that people undergo when they are in a natural settings. One of the key places where Cairns people go to get away from things and relax is the mouth of Richters Creek, which is at the northern end of Holloways Beach. These photos were taken 2 weekends ago (before the article) and they show just how people love these areas.

Has ANY Steel Builing EVER Collapsed Due To Fire...

Submitted by Editor on Wed, 27/07/2005 - 21:07

Here's a few notes and links I made from a google search on the subject of ''Has ANY Steel Builing EVER Collapsed Due To Fire'' .... Check out the photo. Those Spaniards must have better steel and better engineers than the Americans ... maybe even Less Gravity....

A Tunnel under Cairns Inlet

Submitted by Webmaster on Wed, 27/07/2005 - 04:43

A tunnel under Cairns (Trinity) Inlet to allow the City ofCairns to expand onto the southern side of the inlet has recently beensuggested by Warren Entsch.  The purpose of this article is simplyto provide some basic information on what such a tunnel might look likeand how it might be constructed.  The purpose of this site to putthe facts on the table for public discussion and that includesdevelopment issues as well as conservation issues.

Beware the Peewee

Submitted by Webmaster on Tue, 26/07/2005 - 08:11

The local McDonalds has a surprising sign in the door – Patio closed to nesting birds. Well, if a bird was nesting on the patio, it can’t have done so without knowing that thousands of people come and go every day. I decided to each on the patio anyway. It was then, the staff came out and informed me of the real reason for the sign – the peewee that was begging for a fry was a maniac. I was told that if I kept on encouraging him, he would try to peck my eyes out!If I had not heard of such a thing before, I would not have believed it.

The ugliest flowers in the rainforest

Submitted by Webmaster on Mon, 25/07/2005 - 22:03

Right now swarms of alien-like plants are emerging from the rainforest floor. When I first saw these things, I promptly dissected one in a vain attempt to work out which kingdom these organisms belong. I could not find anything recognisable, however they are known to science and are considered to be a flower of a specialised root parasite. Being a root parasite, the plant has no leaves or stems and no chlorophyll. The scientific name of this plant is Balanophora fungosa.

A neo-liberal once proudly claimed that man had reached the end of history as economic rationalism had triumphed over other political ideologies and we had therefore reached the final evolution of political and economic development. Several years down the track, most people would probably disagree as they know instinctively that we may have had a little too much economic rationalism at great cost to sections of our country. The strange thing is that despite a growing awareness that economic rationalism is not the final panacea, it has been so hard to put into words what is wrong with it.

Are tourist expectations shrinking like cane fires?

Submitted by Webmaster on Tue, 19/07/2005 - 09:31

I am slowly becoming a people watcher. It is important to record people how they are and for this reason, I take photos of people doing what they do, without them knowing they are being photographed. Some people may think that this is unethical; however my understanding of the ethics of this situation is that people in public places can be photographed.

Agro little buggers

Submitted by Webmaster on Mon, 18/07/2005 - 21:50

High in the mountains of the Wet Tropics, it can be surprisingly cold. Even the birds seem to only really get into a morning spirit when the arriving sun provides some warmth. Just as the first rays shone through, I spotted some rather excited birds – spotted pardalotes. The excitement soon turned to battle with two of the birds engaging in physical combat as a third looked on.The battle was so intense, that soon the birds totally ignored my increasing proximity.

Myrtella

Submitted by Webmaster on Mon, 18/07/2005 - 08:10

MyrtellaOnce apon a time, when the Cairns Northern Beaches were wild places, the season of winter was coloured by the magenta and mauve flowers of a native heath called myrtella. It still grows in the environmental reserve at the northern end of Holloways Beach. Being a heath, it grows best in vegetation that is burned or disturbed by strong winds. Its scientific name was Myrtella although it has now been changed to Lithomyrtus obtusa.

* Nuttall referred to Commissioner Morris
* Labor's sleight of hand on leasehold land rents
* Bundaberg Port Authority board gets another Labor mate
* Taxpayer funds lost by Beattie government as companies fail
* We need protection from needle-stick injuries

Advertising

Advertise here!

All content and comments posted are owned and © by the Author and/or Poster.
Web site Copyright © 1995 - 2007 Clemens Vermeulen, Cairns - All Rights Reserved
Drupal design and maintenance by Clemens Vermeulen Drupal theme by Kiwi Themes.
Buy now